blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Ubuntu

Ubuntu

Postby brektzar » May 1st, 2013, 5:05 am

Finally got around to installing Ubuntu again! :)
Its crazy that there are so few games for this awesome OS... If all the games i play worked on Linux i would probably be using that all the time instead of Windows.
Its so smooth and easy to use. Sure youre gonna have to learn(or re-learn) some commands like sudo, apt-get, chmod etc.
But thats ok since the OS is so awesome in every other aspect :P
So if any of you are interested in dual-booting or using a virtual machine i recommend using Ubuntu! :D
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Re: Ubuntu

Postby IrascibleOne » May 2nd, 2013, 12:06 pm

I used Ubuntu on my laptop for a year or two until I bought a new one with Windows 8 a few months ago.

Super easy to install. The more I used Ubuntu though, the more I didn't like it. Always got frustrated with the UI. I also don't like the 'use the terminal for everything' mentality of some of the community. I'm fine with it most of the time, but it always bugs me I get told to do something simple like download a file through the terminal when the browser is already open and works just fine.

That said, it did work for what I needed it to do and it got the job done. Someone recommended Linux Mint to me as an alternative since it's a different UI, but I have yet to try it. I'm sure after I have to start paying for Windows again (I got Windows 7 and 8 for free through my university) then I'll look at it again. :D
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » May 2nd, 2013, 2:04 pm

I actually think that its a good thing with that mentality, sometimes. Using the terminal rather than a graphical UI is often faster and easier in my opinion.
I mean, "sudo apt-get install spotify-client" is way faster than looking for it on the internet.
And "sudo gedit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf" to edit lightdm.conf with root privileges instead of logging out and then log into root find the file in nautilus and THEN edit it, or you could always type "sudo nautilus" and that will open nautilus with root(nautilus is the linux equivalent of explorer in windows) and then you can find the file.

But why go through all that trouble when you can just type it in the terminal and youre set?

Then of course i dont se the reason to use termi9nal when youre just gonna open an app or when youre just gonna rename some file.

The terminal is really good for when you need root permission to do something, but if you dont need that then the terminal is not needed either in my opinion. But it does make it faster and easier to do stuff in any linux distro ive tried.

If you didnt like the UI you could always get another desktop environment. Theres quite a few of them out there.
You just need to install a desktop environment and the switch to it before you log in, its really easy and no fuss, and theyre not overlays either so they dont use extra resources like they would in windows for example.
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » May 2nd, 2013, 5:14 pm

Yeah, that makes sense. I think part of my problem is that I had never really learned how to use the terminal very well other than what little I've done with Linux servers in general. Just another one of those things I wish I had more time to go and learn more about.

I think something I want to do at some point is use my Ubuntu laptop for playing around with Linux and finding some setup that I like. Probably won't happen until I am done with school though...
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » May 2nd, 2013, 7:32 pm

When you do decide to do it i suggest that you instead of Ubuntu get Kubuntu. Kubuntu uses KDE environment instead of Gnome, since you didnt like Gnome KDE might be what you want. You can always install KDE over Ubuntu aswell(i use both KDE and Gnome).
KDE is way better if you want to customize your desktop, you can customize everything basically :P In Gnome you dont have the same level of customization, thats one of the reasons i use both :P the other reason is because its fun . ^^
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby Sazex » May 4th, 2013, 6:23 pm

Brektzar, have you experienced any crashes or lags in Ubuntu 13.04?

I installed Ubuntu 12.10 back in December for the first time, with my new computer, and the whole experience was intimidating at first, but after about two weeks I grew comfortable with the command terminal, and started using Wine to play all of my games. However, February came, and I realized I couldn't play all my games with wine on Ubuntu, so I dual booted with Windows 7 again, for my games, but now Ubuntu is being all weird; every time I go to Youtube, it won't let me click on "show the comment" And it crashes sometimes. So I brought out my old laptop and installed Arch Linux onto it, a little hard to setup but once I finally got it to work, I thought it was much better than Ubuntu, so now I'm thinking of installing Arch instead of Ubuntu on my computer, but if Ubuntu 13.04 works nicely I guess I can give it a whirl.
Sazex
Regular
Regular

Postby brektzar » May 5th, 2013, 4:09 am

So far i havnt had any problems that i havnt caused myself :P
It works like a charm :)
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Return to Computers