blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

A Game!

A Game!

Postby djm » February 14th, 2010, 2:15 pm

Hey everyone!

Since I'm gonna makje a game as my project on my last year in college I was wondering if some, if not all of you, would like to be a part of it?

The first demo will be made in Adobe Flash justto test the story. The REAL demo will be in full 3D (it doesn't have to be SUPER MEGA graphics..). And the full game will be in 3D aswell but with cinematics between every chapter.

What I need help with on this prject is 3D animation, scenery in flash and programming. I've been working on game music for this game for 2 days now and the storyline is complete. Here it is, but very blurry. I'll make a better one when I get the time;

4 characters; Sonny, James, Sita and of course Sheldin.
Sonny: 17 year old boy, dreams about being a regular kid, but cool. But during his coma, his dreams turns into nightmares and everything's dark. Robots created to HELP the city are now released and these robots have been de-coded by their maker, Darbus. His maingoal is to make every humanbeing his slave so he can make an attack on the neighbo
neighboor planet, Araticular which is the home of many creatures. Although, these creatures are not hostile and when they hear about the attack from Sonny's homeplanet called Nerudar, they get mad and starts to build up their own army and engage Nerudar before Darbus can emarge his attack

Sonny meets up with Sita along the way to make allies with the Articular creatures, but trubble starts to grow and James (his brother) get's locked up in Darbus lab for experiment
Sheldin, one of the elders in Articular, starts to realize that Soony has got no hostile actions in mind against them so he teams up with him and teaches him how to kill the humanoidique robots (humanoidique robots = Robots with humanbodies inside that controlls the movements. It's like a human with super weapons in their arms).
Sita gets hurt, badly during the war of the wastelands between the HR ( humanoidique robots) and the Articular creatures + Sonny and Sita
Sonny sneaks out from the battle with Sheldin. They both sneak in to the Lab, frees James and steal EQ so that they can develop their own armor
James leaves the party, to gather more allies. Sheldin teaches Sonny how to fight, more advanced and Sonny stops the fight on the wastelands with a semi-nuclear bomb which kills everything nearby. The HR retreats to the base AKA the capital city. Sonny and Sheldin both makes their way past the gate-guards and then fight their way to the Lab
they're inside the lab and the first one they meet is Darbus, and his secret ninja-like fighter called HRJames 1.0. It's a complete replica of James but with robotic parts and his fighting style is super fast
Sheldin gets knocked out of the lab and faints near the door. Sonny fights with HRJames
HRJames gets knocked out by a window on the 20th floor after a long battle. Sonny thinks he's dead by the fall.. but heäs not
he's not*
Sonny runs to the door to Darbus office and gets knocked down by HRJames.
Sheldin rescue him
Sonny later on wakes up on the hospital.. but it's ruined
everything's destroyed
Then he walks outside and he realizes that the dream, turned into reality
... To be continued
This is the main story

I want it to be like Legend of Zelda, but future/sci-fi thingy.

If there's any complications, questions or ideas what so ever, please ask/tell! I need all the help I can get. Deadline for at least one demo is 2 and a half years from now.

I'd love if you guys could be a part of this, like a DarkScarab Studios game!

Think about it for a while, please!

Thanks!
Regards, DJM aka Sheldin!

DeviantArt Profile
http://sheldiner.deviantart.com/

Youtube (Tutorials/Gaming)
http://www.youtube.com/SheldinLP
djm
Pro
Pro

Re: A Game!

Postby IrascibleOne » February 14th, 2010, 7:07 pm

Sounds interesting. Not sure how much I can help, at least initially.

I am slightly confused with the story though...does this story take place before the beginning of the game and the game starts when he wakes up in the hospital or is where he wakes up the end of the game?
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » February 14th, 2010, 9:51 pm

Ok, first of all, The story should be better explained and longer, it should also start from the beginning. And dont rush it, take your time. A story is one of the most important parts of a game or a movie, if its rushed it will be bad and make the game boring.

However, im not sure if im gonna help you out too much, i also want to see a paper from your "projekt arbets handledare" where he says that its ok for use to help you do this game, the last thing i wanna do is to ruin this for you since this is an important part of school.

When i was in school and had to do this, i could ojly work together with the people in my class, none other or my work would have been disqualified. So ask him to give you a note and you show it to me and then i MIGHT help you out with some stuff like items :P
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby Dictator-for-life » February 14th, 2010, 10:32 pm

Well, seeing how I know Blender and Flash, I think I could spare some time to help you out. Tell us what you need, and I'll see what I can do (time allowing).

Oh, and two and a half years is really NOT a long ways away. Perhaps it is not too early to make a preliminary outline, a schedule, if you will. That way, if we see you nearing crunch time, we'll put in a little more effort, I am sure :thumbup:
"Along with 'Antimatter,' and 'Dark Matter,' we've recently discovered the existence of 'Doesn't Matter,' which appears to have no effect on the universe whatsoever." -The 5th Wave
Dictator-for-life
Veteran
Veteran

Postby brektzar » February 15th, 2010, 12:00 am

If youre oing to do this joakim heres a few things you need to think about before starting the game.

What engine will you use?
Will it be OW like Zelda or will it be corridor like fable?
What polycount will be the max for various objects and characters?
What system requirements do you want the game to have?(goes hand to hand with the previous question)
Will it be windows specific or multi platform?
How do you want to start?
What language will you use?

To make it easier on you, blender has an intergrated game engine, and you would use python(you will learn python in school since youre gonna learn maya)

If you want to use another engine, this is said to be "easy to use"
JMonkeyEngine

This is in no way meant to discourage you, you just need to be sure that this is not an easy task and theres alot to do even before beginning the game itself.

Theres alot more to think about, be sure to read up on this. And as i said i wont help with modelling unless its ok with your teacher, but i can help in other ways, like if you have any questions i might be able to answer them.
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby djm » February 15th, 2010, 12:05 am

This is the main story. It beginns where it beginns. The end of the first part of the game AKA chapter 1 is when he wakes up. I edidn't write in detail cause I haven't decided how the side quests are going to be yet. For now we'll/I'll go with the main story because the only thing that's in priority right now is to finish the flash demo so you, and I, can see the beginning of the story in a whole piece. The Flash demo will end when he first encounters one of the enemies, not more. So the players will get an idea of what it's about, like a cliffhanger. The 3D part will be started when the flash demo is finished and we've/I've got some feedback on it. What I will work on, by myself as a project in 3rd grade is the cinamatics for the last chapter.

And Jimmy, I've thought this through really carefully haha. Since it's a schoolproject I'm gonna work on cinematics by myself as the project. I'll let them know abut the game aswell, but MY project will be cinematics.

Anyway, if you guys are interested in working with this I'd love to know who's helping and what you want to do.

DeviantArt Profile

djm
Pro
Pro

Postby brektzar » February 15th, 2010, 12:37 am

djm wrote:And Jimmy, I've thought this through really carefully haha. Since it's a schoolproject I'm gonna work on cinematics by myself as the project. I'll let them know abut the game aswell, but MY project will be cinematics.

Im glad to hear that. Then i can help you, i can do static objects in blender, im tired of doing organics atm, and im NOT good at rigging yet either :P ^^
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby djm » February 15th, 2010, 2:27 pm

Okey, I had a little chit-chat with brektzar earlier today about the game, we talked about what engine to use, poly-rates etc.
And I came up with an idea. Since we're gonna make a flash demo first to test the story, the 3D modelling won't take action until the first demo is done. By the time the demo is being played by users on sites like kongregate (hopefully), we'll start working with the 3D modelling.

We also talked about voice acting. Everyone that's interested in voice-acting raise your hand! (not litteraly). Haha, just tell me/us if you'd like to act as a voice to one of the characters. It could be Sonny, James, Darbus or even one of the robots. I have softwares on my comp so I can modulate your voice into robotic-kinda stuff so on't worry bout that.

And before I left his room for the evening I told him that I need LIVE-connection with the participants in this project so that I know when you guys are on, what you're doing by the time online and I also need this LIVE-connection/chat so that I can ask, or help, you guys. It's just for safety sop that no one gets lost in the process.

Oh, jimmy came up with an awesome idea aswell.. He told me that iyou, IrascibleOne, should make a group for us (the participants of this game) and make our own group topics on here so that we can write our own log about what we're doing, how we're doing it, how long it took etc. Details all over the place. And when this documentary is full, and the game (chapter 1) is finished for now, I'll put it on paper and save it for further use. Just incase we decide to work further on this game, chapter 2, and such.

Since I have to be doing this for 3 years, and you don't have to do it at all I guess my highest priority is to be sure that everyone is working their fullest while on their subject. For example, me and DFL will be working on the Flash-DEMO (coding, painting etc.). While jimmy will work on 3D moduling later on and I will do that aswell, mostly for cinematics though. But during year two of college I'll help out with the coding and animations of the game, characters, scenery etc. Although I have to learn what high- and low-poly is, what game engine fits the best, what a game engine really is and more. So DO NOT exspect super stuff from me since I'm new to blender and new to game-making in full 3D.

Any questions about what I just wrote?

DeviantArt Profile

djm
Pro
Pro

Postby IrascibleOne » February 15th, 2010, 11:15 pm

Yeah I can make a group for us.

I am interested in being a voice of someone, but I don't think I will be good at it at all. Nor do I think I will be a good person to do it because of the same reason I don't pump out video tutorials, too much noise going on in the house and I always seem to get interrupted by parents/brother/phone when I start. Not to mention the fact that I use my 5 year old mp3 player as my microphone. But if you think my voice fits really well (listen to one of my vid tuts) then I will try.

Other than that the only thing I think I could be good for is modeling inorganic stuffs and animation.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » February 16th, 2010, 1:25 am

I am sure joakim knows how to minimized the noise in the background, and if you for some reason get interupted, just start over ;)
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Next
Return to Community Projects