blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Nature textures and models repository

Re: Nature textures and models repository

Postby djm » February 7th, 2015, 2:06 am

alpha, that is what i meant.. sigh.
Regards, DJM aka Sheldin!

DeviantArt Profile
http://sheldiner.deviantart.com/

Youtube (Tutorials/Gaming)
http://www.youtube.com/SheldinLP
djm
Pro
Pro

Postby Alpha 3D » February 7th, 2015, 8:25 am

djm wrote:alpha, that is what i meant.. sigh.

LOL! Okay :relaxed:
God Makes ALL The Difference! :D
Portfolio: towercg.weebly.com
Thanks!
Alpha 3D
Useful
Useful

Postby IrascibleOne » February 7th, 2015, 10:13 am

I added a README file in our Google Drive folder. I didn't fill anything out other than section titles I think we should have, but I think it would be easier to hash out the license and whatnot there rather than through this thread.

I believe we can chat if we are in the file at the same time too, yes?
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bonrw1 » February 7th, 2015, 11:55 am

IrascibleOne wrote:I added a README file in our Google Drive folder. I didn't fill anything out other than section titles I think we should have, but I think it would be easier to hash out the license and whatnot there rather than through this thread.

I believe we can chat if we are in the file at the same time too, yes?

There is a file called "Textures and models", and if you click on that, you come to the spreadsheet, where we list what's needed when, and plan stuff etc, and there is a chatbox on the spreadsheet. ;)
bonrw1
Useful
Useful

Postby IrascibleOne » February 7th, 2015, 8:22 pm

Am I missing something or is that file not shared with me? I'm not seeing anything named "Textures and models". All I see are images and zip files.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bonrw1 » February 8th, 2015, 4:16 am

IrascibleOne wrote:Am I missing something or is that file not shared with me? I'm not seeing anything named "Textures and models". All I see are images and zip files.

Okay, it was because i forgot to share the spreadsheet with you. You should get an email, with the link to the spreadsheet. ;)
bonrw1
Useful
Useful

Postby IrascibleOne » February 8th, 2015, 1:17 pm

I think we are getting ahead of ourselves with that spreadsheet. I won't go into detail, but I will say I've taken a few project management courses in college. While that doesn't make me an expert, I'll go ahead and put together a list of steps I think we should follow. They will be project management style stuff, nothing concerning Blender itself, but I think it will keep us on track and keep us focused. If we bite off more than we can chew (which we are already starting to do!), we'll burn out and never finish the project.

Also, I'll be setting up a private forum for this project where we can communicate. I'll put us into a group exclusive to the Nature Pack contributors. At this point I've got Alpha, Bonrw, Brektzar, and DJM in on this project, yes? If anyone else wants to join that group, let me know in a PM!
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » February 8th, 2015, 1:43 pm

IrascibleOne wrote:I think we are getting ahead of ourselves with that spreadsheet. I won't go into detail, but I will say I've taken a few project management courses in college. While that doesn't make me an expert, I'll go ahead and put together a list of steps I think we should follow. They will be project management style stuff, nothing concerning Blender itself, but I think it will keep us on track and keep us focused. If we bite off more than we can chew (which we are already starting to do!), we'll burn out and never finish the project.

Also, I'll be setting up a private forum for this project where we can communicate. I'll put us into a group exclusive to the Nature Pack contributors. At this point I've got Alpha, Bonrw, Brektzar, and DJM in on this project, yes? If anyone else wants to join that group, let me know in a PM!

Yes, i agree with this 100%, and the discussions about this project should be done on DS instead of random boxes in a spreadsheet. ;)
While a spreadsheet like that could be very useful for projects, it is not what we need right now.
We could perhaps adapt the sheet to something more fitting, but ill leave that until we know what irascible has in mind.

Everyone should keep in mind that i intended for this project to be relaxed and something you do when you have time for it. So far there is no deadline, there are no assigned roles or anything like that. You do what you can do and when you can do it, no pressure, no stress.
For people not doing this professionally, specific roles is a bad idea since that will build pressure on that person, eventually that person wont be able to do anything.
But by doing this in a relaxed and calm way, people will be able to do things and at the same time enjoy it.

Anyone disagree? :?:
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » February 8th, 2015, 3:55 pm

Here's that list of things I think we should do. I know it may look big, but I've trimmed quite a bit out so they are super easy to do. There are a couple I am flip flopping on whether we should bother, but I left them in to see what you guys think first. If you guys are cool with doing some or all of these, I can go into more detail if you need it.

Spoilerized for your convenience:
SHOW SPOILER
  • Project Proposal
    This is simply Brektzar's initial post. Done.
  • Goals
    Finish the README file. The "About" section should set the high level goals for us. When someone reads that, they'll know exactly what the project is about and what we are trying to do. While we're at it, we can decide how people can join the project and hash out the license we want to use.
  • Competitive Analysis
    Look at similar projects to see what they have (and don't have) so we know what we should have. This is useful for making our project stand apart from everyone else's and make it interesting enough for others to want to join in.
  • Scope
    Define our specific goals. Determine exactly what will and will not do. This essentially sets the finish line for version 1 of this pack. Anything beyond this scope can be done in version 2 or later.
    Note: This is super important. It needs to be realistic and doable in a reasonable timeframe. I know we don't have deadlines, but we have to be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel or we'll lose hope and give up.
  • Resource Analysis
    Determine who is working on the project, what their expertise is, and how we can contact them. Can also include interesting resources each person might have available that the others might not have.
  • Project Structure
    Make it clear how people should add/edit files in Google Drive, how to organize the project folders, how to name files, and so on. These are details that keep everything organized and easy to find.
  • Implementation
    This is where we start doing actual work. I don't think we should assign tasks. If we've done the previous steps properly, anyone should be able to create whatever they like to help us reach the finish line defined in the scope.
  • Project Updates
    Weekly(?) updates. Just say what you did in the last week and what you will be doing in the next week. That's it.
    This way everyone knows what is being worked on without having to ask. They are also useful because you'll see your personal progress even when you feel like you haven't done much.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Alpha 3D » February 8th, 2015, 6:53 pm

I'm in ;)
God Makes ALL The Difference! :D
Portfolio: towercg.weebly.com
Thanks!
Alpha 3D
Useful
Useful