blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Nature textures and models repository

Nature textures and models repository

Postby brektzar » January 28th, 2015, 7:48 am

Ok, so these projects never ever leave the "sounds fun lets do this" phase, so this one will be open and on-going for all to take part in.

I was thinking of a nature repository, the idea came from Andrew Price, he recently released a new pack that you can buy from him.
Its called "Grass Essentials" and includes a few hundred models and texture of high quality.

My idea here is simple, lets make our own pack, open only to DS members and free of charge.
This is in no way going to steal revenue from AP because he has a high amount of really high quality work that there is no way we can match what he has with only a few people working on this whenever they feel like it :P

He is also very well known around the blender circles, we are not that well known.

So, a plan for the repository:
- Get people interested in doing this
- Get someone with a good scanner to scan grass, leaves, weeds etc
- Take photos of nature and use as guides to what stuff should look like
- Model grass, leaves, trees, weeds, bushes etc, this is the most important part together with textures, it should look random and several variations of each straw, weed tree needs to be made.
- Make sure people with limited income or hobbyists knows this is happening and invite them to help make it and use what we made.
- Use the download pages that exist here on DS but perhaps with its own link to an area where only the nature stuff is and no other textures or models will be in that area.(Irascible, this one is up to you)
- Put stuff in a scene to showcase
- Make sure everything works well with cycles and other renderers
- Make a pretty scene utilizing the assets made

Now, i know i missed alot of steps in the plan, i just cant think of which ones i missed.
The steps are in no particular order, we will take care of a real plan if we get this going.

Any ideas?
What do you guys think of this project?
Should it be community project number 3? :P
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Re: Nature textures and models repository

Postby bonrw1 » January 28th, 2015, 12:27 pm

brektzar wrote:Ok, so these projects never ever leave the "sounds fun lets do this" phase, so this one will be open and on-going for all to take part in.

I was thinking of a nature repository, the idea came from Andrew Price, he recently released a new pack that you can buy from him.
Its called "Grass Essentials" and includes a few hundred models and texture of high quality.

My idea here is simple, lets make our own pack, open only to DS members and free of charge.
This is in no way going to steal revenue from AP because he has a high amount of really high quality work that there is no way we can match what he has with only a few people working on this whenever they feel like it :P

He is also very well known around the blender circles, we are not that well known.

So, a plan for the repository:
- Get people interested in doing this
- Get someone with a good scanner to scan grass, leaves, weeds etc
- Take photos of nature and use as guides to what stuff should look like
- Model grass, leaves, trees, weeds, bushes etc, this is the most important part together with textures, it should look random and several variations of each straw, weed tree needs to be made.
- Make sure people with limited income or hobbyists knows this is happening and invite them to help make it and use what we made.
- Use the download pages that exist here on DS but perhaps with its own link to an area where only the nature stuff is and no other textures or models will be in that area.(Irascible, this one is up to you)
- Put stuff in a scene to showcase
- Make sure everything works well with cycles and other renderers
- Make a pretty scene utilizing the assets made

Now, i know i missed alot of steps in the plan, i just cant think of which ones i missed.
The steps are in no particular order, we will take care of a real plan if we get this going.

Any ideas?
What do you guys think of this project?
Should it be community project number 3? :P

Hey, I like the idea of this! I always like making plants in blender!

I have a scanner, and a professional FujiFilm FinePix camera, and scan a lot of plants etc. I will be happy to provide some textures, and maybe even help with some modelling! this sounds like a lot of fun, and I'm sure a lot of people will find it useful! Great idea, and in about 4 days, I will be free to do some picture taking, scanning of plants/textures.

-Bon
bonrw1
Useful
Useful

Postby brektzar » January 28th, 2015, 1:44 pm

Bonrw1, that is awesome! :D
Any textures of plants you can contribute would be great! :D

As soon as we have textures we can begin modelling :D
I think that all the textures should be made by us at DS and no textures from places like CGTextures. That would make it a true Dark Scarab only repository.
And the images you dont want to give out for free wont be added, you ok with that?
A license that says free to use in any way except selling or redistributing, should be good right?

Perhaps we can also try to do some tutorials using these assets when the library is big enough, give out ready made cycles shaders, node setups, everything ready to go for the one downloading?

This might be a looooong project, but it just needs some momentum :P
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby bonrw1 » January 28th, 2015, 2:11 pm

brektzar wrote:Bonrw1, that is awesome! :D
Any textures of plants you can contribute would be great! :D

As soon as we have textures we can begin modelling :D
I think that all the textures should be made by us at DS and no textures from places like CGTextures. That would make it a true Dark Scarab only repository.
And the images you dont want to give out for free wont be added, you ok with that?
A license that says free to use in any way except selling or redistributing, should be good right?

Perhaps we can also try to do some tutorials using these assets when the library is big enough, give out ready made cycles shaders, node setups, everything ready to go for the one downloading?

This might be a looooong project, but it just needs some momentum :P

yeah, I agree with you about getting them from CGTextures and such, It has to be our own produce :P I will have no copyright or anything on the textures, and none of them will cost! ;) I can't wait to get started :)
bonrw1
Useful
Useful

Postby IrascibleOne » January 28th, 2015, 8:12 pm

Sounds awesome. Maybe I should get back to my plants and trees project. I do have a ton of scanned leaves that I could share. Was going to try to sell them, but that was back when I was between jobs.

Use the download pages that exist here on DS but perhaps with its own link to an area where only the nature stuff is and no other textures or models will be in that area.

Not 100% sure what you mean. Do you mean a page that contains all of the plants/textures/etc made for this project?
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » January 28th, 2015, 11:38 pm

basically yeah, a download page dedicated to this project.
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby djm » January 30th, 2015, 2:53 am

Well, I like photography (easy to take reference images, I can even use some of my old shots) and modelling plants is always fun. Quick Q though, should we make shader-packs along-side this? I know a lot of people sell their own shaders and materials (very big on BlenderCookie), so I am just curious to know if we should do the same - free of charge of course.
Regards, DJM aka Sheldin!

DeviantArt Profile
http://sheldiner.deviantart.com/

Youtube (Tutorials/Gaming)
http://www.youtube.com/SheldinLP
djm
Pro
Pro

Postby brektzar » January 30th, 2015, 9:41 am

Yeah, thats what i hope we do anyway :P
People that can model really good dont always know how to give it the right look, so we could play around with that and try our hand at awesomeness.

brektzar wrote:Perhaps we can also try to do some tutorials using these assets when the library is big enough, give out ready made cycles shaders, node setups, everything ready to go for the one downloading?
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby djm » January 30th, 2015, 12:30 pm

brektzar wrote:Yeah, thats what i hope we do anyway :P
People that can model really good dont always know how to give it the right look, so we could play around with that and try our hand at awesomeness.

brektzar wrote:Perhaps we can also try to do some tutorials using these assets when the library is big enough, give out ready made cycles shaders, node setups, everything ready to go for the one downloading?

I was tired when I read the post :crazy:
Regards, DJM aka Sheldin!

DeviantArt Profile
http://sheldiner.deviantart.com/

Youtube (Tutorials/Gaming)
http://www.youtube.com/SheldinLP
djm
Pro
Pro

Postby brektzar » January 30th, 2015, 2:54 pm

Hehe :P Its ok, Just add some photos to the project, after that this incident could be hidden and forgotten.
I do have MOD privileges, i CAN make this disappear if you wish. ;)
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Next
Return to Community Projects