blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Nature textures and models repository

Re: Nature textures and models repository

Postby brektzar » February 4th, 2015, 4:19 am

Alpha 3D wrote:Also, how about selling it on Turbosquid, and then being able to give it to members, and sell it to outsiders :)

Nah, this project is going to be free for any member of DS, those who are not members cant get it unless they join first.
Were not trying to make money here, this is so that people with no money can do their thing without braking their piggy bank :P

It is also a good way to bring more people to DS :)
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby Alpha 3D » February 4th, 2015, 2:53 pm

Yeah... My thing is, none of the Creators really benefit from this... Other than being able to use the pack themselves... Also you admins, as your main goal is to get more members... At the moment, I have a lot going on. It'd just be nice to get some compensation for the work I'll put into this. What ever happens, this will be Royalty Free, right? No credits needed, and able to be used commercially, right? (I'll give credits, but I also want to use it commercially) Otherwise, count me out.... :( I'm raising for a $800 PC to keep up with me, right now, and I can't afford to waste time :(
God Makes ALL The Difference! :D
Portfolio: towercg.weebly.com
Thanks!
Alpha 3D
Useful
Useful

Postby IrascibleOne » February 4th, 2015, 6:19 pm

Personally, I think this project should be free for any DS member for personal or commercial use, some form of credit required, selling/reselling any assets themselves would not be allowed. Any DS member can contribute and suggest/submit updates and changes.

@Alpha 3D: Contributors have plenty to benefit! Just because you aren't making money, doesn't mean it's a waste of time. Projects like this are great for learning, improving skills, and improving your reputation, all of which can make you money later on if you take advantage of them. For instance, my websites have made me very little money directly, but they just landed me a fantastic job because employers could see what I've done without being blocked by paywalls, registration forms, or nondisclosure agreements. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to push you into joining this project if you don't want to, I'm just saying that just because there are no immediate or tangible benefits (ie. money), doesn't mean it's a waste of time.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby djm » February 5th, 2015, 4:09 am

Alpha 3D wrote:Yeah... My thing is, none of the Creators really benefit from this... Other than being able to use the pack themselves... Also you admins, as your main goal is to get more members... At the moment, I have a lot going on. It'd just be nice to get some compensation for the work I'll put into this. What ever happens, this will be Royalty Free, right? No credits needed, and able to be used commercially, right? (I'll give credits, but I also want to use it commercially) Otherwise, count me out.... :( I'm raising for a $800 PC to keep up with me, right now, and I can't afford to waste time :(

I am honestly not really a fan of this greedy attitude towards this project. Making things for free, whether it is a couple of renders, models, textures or even big scaled projects it will still earn you very valuable things just like this Irascible said; Reputation, Experience, enhance your skill set to name a few. If money is your only goal you won't get far. People in the business don't take easy on people who only do it for the sake of getting paid. No one really likes to pay a "nobody" money, especially not someone who only do things for the sake of getting paid.

Take a look at all the content posted on DS; images, tutorials, models etc. None of which will earn anyone any income, at all. Why did we upload it then if we didn't really get anything from it? - Oh, but we did get something. Reputation & skill. Reputation and skills are everything in "this" business. Not money, not the power of your PC, not your personal greed. And projects like Open blender projects, this project right here or even your very own renders are all gaining you reputation and improvement to your skills. Yes, none of these cost anything to make, not do they generate any income, and such things generate even more buzz. For example, if someone made this beautiful fantasy scene with dragons and whatnot and published the image online to preview his model & shader pack, how many do you think would look away when they saw a price-tag of XXX$? More than the amount who would stay if they saw the word "free of charge for registered users!", and as it turns out, registration is quick, easy and free (and as far as I know, DS don't really spam out e-mails either). So what we are doing here is not only for a good cause, not only helping ourselves grow as artists but it is also generating traffic - free of charge - to DS. Try to think about the cause of a project before you take money and personal greed into your calculations. :)

I am sorry if I may have come out harsh, but it is just that I don't like greed. And I really don't like people who focus more on themselves other than the cause of a project. But hey, like Irascible said, you are in if you want to, or out if you want to. No one's gonna force you to do anything. :)

[EDIT]
I forgot to ask.. when should we begin?? I have a plethora of photos that I have taken myself which I can share for reference, and I would also like to start modelling and such right away :D
Regards, DJM aka Sheldin!

DeviantArt Profile
http://sheldiner.deviantart.com/

Youtube (Tutorials/Gaming)
http://www.youtube.com/SheldinLP
djm
Pro
Pro

Postby bonrw1 » February 5th, 2015, 4:15 am

djm wrote:
Alpha 3D wrote:Yeah... My thing is, none of the Creators really benefit from this... Other than being able to use the pack themselves... Also you admins, as your main goal is to get more members... At the moment, I have a lot going on. It'd just be nice to get some compensation for the work I'll put into this. What ever happens, this will be Royalty Free, right? No credits needed, and able to be used commercially, right? (I'll give credits, but I also want to use it commercially) Otherwise, count me out.... :( I'm raising for a $800 PC to keep up with me, right now, and I can't afford to waste time :(

I am honestly not really a fan of this greedy attitude towards this project. Making things for free, whether it is a couple of renders, models, textures or even big scaled projects it will still earn you very valuable things just like this Irascible said; Reputation, Experience, enhance your skill set to name a few. If money is your only goal you won't get far. People in the business don't take easy on people who only do it for the sake of getting paid. No one really likes to pay a "nobody" money, especially not someone who only do things for the sake of getting paid.

Take a look at all the content posted on DS; images, tutorials, models etc. None of which will earn anyone any income, at all. Why did we upload it then if we didn't really get anything from it? - Oh, but we did get something. Reputation & skill. Reputation and skills are everything in "this" business. Not money, not the power of your PC, not your personal greed. And projects like Open blender projects, this project right here or even your very own renders are all gaining you reputation and improvement to your skills. Yes, none of these cost anything to make, not do they generate any income, and such things generate even more buzz. For example, if someone made this beautiful fantasy scene with dragons and whatnot and published the image online to preview his model & shader pack, how many do you think would look away when they saw a price-tag of XXX$? More than the amount who would stay if they saw the word "free of charge for registered users!", and as it turns out, registration is quick, easy and free (and as far as I know, DS don't really spam out e-mails either). So what we are doing here is not only for a good cause, not only helping ourselves grow as artists but it is also generating traffic - free of charge - to DS. Try to think about the cause of a project before you take money and personal greed into your calculations. :)

I am sorry if I may have come out harsh, but it is just that I don't like greed. And I really don't like people who focus more on themselves other than the cause of a project. But hey, like Irascible said, you are in if you want to, or out if you want to. No one's gonna force you to do anything. :)

[EDIT]
I forgot to ask.. when should we begin?? I have a plethora of photos that I have taken myself which I can share for reference, and I would also like to start modelling and such right away :D

To access the drive folder and the google spreadsheet, you will need to PM me you're email address, so that I can add you. ;)
bonrw1
Useful
Useful

Postby brektzar » February 5th, 2015, 4:54 am

@Irascible, do you have a license in mind? It seems like we are on the same page on this :P

@Alpha3D, I think Irascible said it quite well, we do not intend to sell any of the resources produced for this project.
I understand that you want money for your work, but thats not why i started this project. This project will be very long, it might not even be finished before you get your new 800$ PC. But if you feel like giving it out for free isnt for you, then i understand completely :)

Also, you dont have to spend alot of your time on this, we dont need to be doing only this. Life comes first!

@Everybody
This is a way for people with no money to get decent textures aand models for their scenes, take me for example, i do not have a lot of money to spend on blender related stuff, i have bills and other stuff that takes priority, and whats left is not enough to justify a purchase for blender related stuff. Theres a lot of people in the same situation as me, so why be greedy when you can just help eachother out? :P I really dont need money for giving things i made to people, all i want back is gratitude and awesome art! :P
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby Alpha 3D » February 5th, 2015, 8:40 am

Okay, I think I'm being misunderstood. If we don't sell the pack as a Team, I'd like to be able to put some of the assets into files I may make for an employer, and have the right to sell them to him. (I will never sell the pack alone, I would make an exterior scene for instance, and add some grass from the pack, and put it in with the house) Otherwise, I need to make the pack by myself. I am currently working on Interior Assets, for jobs I do, and I plan on doing exterior assets after finishing this pack... HOWEVER, if I help you guys, and can use the pack for commercial use, I have little need of making my own. And the brand new $800 Dollar PC that the nerd kid next door wants, is because atm, I'm using a $300 laptop (good one), that takes 30 HOURS to render a set of models (that I only got $15 for) that would've taken 1 hour on a good PC. Probably 15 minutes on someone like Andrew Price's computer. And I've been trying to learn what needs to be what, on a PC, to run good, and stay cheap... I've come down to $679, which seams to be bare minimum. I'm sorry I sound greedy, selfish, and/or ignorant, but it's something I need to keep doing Blender.

Note, even if I can't use the pack for what I need it for, I will help... But very little.

-Joey
Thanks!
Alpha 3D
Useful
Useful

Postby Alpha 3D » February 5th, 2015, 8:54 am

djm wrote:

[EDIT]

Hey man... I'm sorry I sounded so greedy. :oops: Unfortunately I do need a PC, but whether or not this pack is for sale, has little to do with it. I want to use the pack in future scenes I might sell. Like if I make a house, and I want grass, I want to be allowed to use it to throw grass in my scene. And as for it's not costing me money... You're right, and wrong. It doesn't cost me money to make something, but it costs me time which I could use to make money (which is a bad excuse as I spend too much time on the internet...), but it also kills my laptop :(
Thanks!
Alpha 3D
Useful
Useful

Postby brektzar » February 5th, 2015, 9:11 am

Ok then!
Now that we know what you mean, lets talk licencing, there's a few of them out there, which one do you guys think is the most appropriate for this pack?
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby djm » February 5th, 2015, 10:17 am

Alpha 3D wrote:
djm wrote:

[EDIT]

Hey man... I'm sorry I sounded so greedy. :oops: Unfortunately I do need a PC, but whether or not this pack is for sale, has little to do with it. I want to use the pack in future scenes I might sell. Like if I make a house, and I want grass, I want to be allowed to use it to throw grass in my scene. And as for it's not costing me money... You're right, and wrong. It doesn't cost me money to make something, but it costs me time which I could use to make money (which is a bad excuse as I spend too much time on the internet...), but it also kills my laptop :(

You didn't sound even the slightest less greedy here, but I do get what you mean. But then again, you are emember of DS so you may use the pack however you wish - even without contributing to it since the time it takes to contribute to it can be used to earn you some extra cash instead, right? ;)
Regards, DJM aka Sheldin!

DeviantArt Profile
http://sheldiner.deviantart.com/

Youtube (Tutorials/Gaming)
http://www.youtube.com/SheldinLP
djm
Pro
Pro

PreviousNext
Return to Community Projects