blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Nature textures and models repository

Re: Nature textures and models repository

Postby bonrw1 » January 31st, 2015, 2:32 am

Would it be good to have a Dropbox for us, so that we can add textures/models, etc, to one folder that we can all see?
bonrw1
Useful
Useful

Postby brektzar » January 31st, 2015, 4:37 am

Sure, its a great service free of charge. So why not use? xD
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby bonrw1 » January 31st, 2015, 7:19 am

brektzar wrote:Sure, its a great service free of charge. So why not use? xD

Sure, I'll PM all the users who are working on the project the details once It's been created :P
bonrw1
Useful
Useful

Postby IrascibleOne » January 31st, 2015, 10:05 am

Another option might be to create a github (or whatever) repository. I'd give us that single place where all the files are located plus all the other benefits that come with version control.

CGCookie has an overview of version control if any of you aren't familiar with it.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » January 31st, 2015, 11:52 am

Yes, on a project i was on where we were making a mod we used SVN. Its pretty easy to set up and works like a charm.

You can use Google's for free i think: https://code.google.com/hosting/createProject :P

However, the one we used was payed for so we had lots of space to work with.
Free hosts usually only offers a small amount, like one gigabyte, which wont be enough. Models are pretty small in size, but the textures i made were over 10 megabytes each, and every texture had three variations(Nor,Spec and Dif) so that's at least 30 megabytes for one model. Those were 2048x2048, but anything made for realistic scenes should be that or higher in my opinion.
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby bonrw1 » January 31st, 2015, 12:51 pm

Or, a google drive account. We could all go onto the same folder at the same time, all upload stuff, it's kind of like dropbox, but it gives you much more free room. :P OR we could create a MediFire account, which is exactly like dropbox, apart from the fact that you get a whole 10 gig! maybe we should vote on which one would be best? :P
bonrw1
Useful
Useful

Postby djm » January 31st, 2015, 3:59 pm

Depending on the space required, and for how long, I do believe a shared dropbox folder would not be too much of a hazzle. I have 60+ gig to spare on my dropbox account, and can easily make that shared folder on my account if the rest of you are concerned about limited space. However, some - if not all - should keep a backup on a computer so that we can make the pack-file later on without having to download several gigabytes of information all at once. I for one am not a fan of massive downloads, mostly because I can only download approx. 800kb/s...
Regards, DJM aka Sheldin!

DeviantArt Profile
http://sheldiner.deviantart.com/

Youtube (Tutorials/Gaming)
http://www.youtube.com/SheldinLP
djm
Pro
Pro

Postby IrascibleOne » January 31st, 2015, 10:00 pm

Here's a summary of our options, I suppose:

Shared Folder on a Storage site:
Dropbox: 2GB free, but can earn more by doing stuff. Or DJM has a ~60GB that we can fill up. :P
Google Drive: 15GB free
Microsoft OneDrive: 15GB free, can earn more free space by doing stuff.
MediaFire: 10GB free

Version Control:
GitHub: 1GB of space, 100mb file (probably similar for other version control sites)
Google Code Project: 2GB (with Subversion), or 4GB @ 500MB per push (with Git), or ?? (with Mercurial)

Other:
Free for all: Everyone uploads their stuff where ever they like and we keep a list of links in this thread or somewhere else on DS.
Dark Scarab: 250,000 MB (244.14GB) free (for you guys). The entirety of DS is currently using 2,077MB. Also, I'd have to set something up. Or we'd have to maintain a link list to series uploaded to the site. Or someone would have to create/update a single series to include new/updated stuff. Or we could figure out something else.

Take your pick, cast your vote.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bonrw1 » February 1st, 2015, 3:48 am

Well, dropobox doesn't have enough space, google drive has a fair ammount, I don't want anything to do with Microsoft, Media fire has kind of enough room, github doesn't have enough, same with google code project,.. DJMs offer seems best to me! Only if he can do it though.
bonrw1
Useful
Useful

Postby brektzar » February 1st, 2015, 4:29 am

The space DJM has on dropbox only lasts for a year :P Its a promotion from Samsung ^^ So for now that's a good idea, but if we could use your space on DS i think that would be better. Could you add SVN to DS? In that case it would be ultra awesome :P
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

PreviousNext
Return to Community Projects