blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

The Rookie Project

The Rookie Project

Postby RookieProject » March 4th, 2013, 12:27 am

The Rookie Project

Hello, my name is Samuel Moxham, and I am a student studying under scholarship in New Zealand.
Me and a group of friends have begun what we call 'The Rookie Project'.

In the process of developing an Indie game we wish to involve and develop peoples skills across the world in Blender and the Blender Game Engine (BGE). We are looking for people in their first few years of experience in their related field to join this project as members of the team.

Jobs are currently open, across all fields of the game design demographic.
Being an open project, you are entitled to work at a rate suitable to you, at your own pleasure.

For more information about applying to join the team, payments, what jobs are available and storyline.
E-mail me: sam@time.org.nz
Or visit the projects website: http://www.rookieproject.com/index.html
And of-course you can post a reply down below.
RookieProject

Re: The Rookie Project

Postby brektzar » March 4th, 2013, 12:06 pm

Sounds like an awesome idea for Blender users. But im unsure on a few things.

1. you say the game will be free, but it can be sold(this is what you said in your video)? Please explain.

2. And if its free how will you pay the contributors?

3. Are you aiming for any specific type of graphics, realistic like many games for example The Witcher or skyrim, cartoony style like Borderlands or any other style of graphics?

4. Will it be open world?

5. Im guessing its going to be an RPG? Will it have the standard RPG progression system or something new?

Most of these questions are just me beeing curious about the game :P But some of them could be important. I probably have more questions though :P Ill just fill them in later :)
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby RookieProject » March 4th, 2013, 2:11 pm

Hello Brektzar.
To answer your questions:
The game is free, I made a mistake in that video and the overlay text was supposed to make a joke out of it.

Main contributors are paid through donations, our sponsors and the money from the scholarship.
Also normal members within the team aren't tied down by copyrights. They have the option to sell the models onto the internet (we provide a list of suggested websites) or have the RookieProject sell them and be paid through the RookieProject.

The realism of the graphics doesn't really matter. We are after people new to blender who want to use the project as a learning experience. The expected entry level for models into the game is going to be fair though.

Yes the game will be open world (Something very hard to achieve in the BGE). But one of the programmers in the team have come up with a brilliant way to achieve this.
As some bonus information, the first Alpha will be released when Incanto College has been finished, and then we update further onto that with each release opening a new quest and area of the map.

Last but not least. yes it is RPG. But because I'm not a cruel overlord and like to give the programmers headaches it would be very simple. Character options are Female/Male, leveling up increases HP, Mana and Ability. Maybe the character model develops as-well, we are still unsure about that feature.

Thanks for replying.
RookieProject

Postby brektzar » March 4th, 2013, 3:49 pm

Ok, thanks for the really fast reply!
I would be quite interested in some of the modeling. I dont have alot of experience in low-mid poly modeling but a high poly mesh can always be re-topologized later.

I dont have that much time on my hands so i am not sure yet, but i will email you if i decide to try my hand at it.
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby RookieProject » March 4th, 2013, 11:23 pm

Brektzar, the team would love to have you join. We are looking for people who want to take this as a learning experience. If you want to learn how to do low poly models for game assets really well I can have another team member do 1 on 1 Skype tuition with you.
Also we are very lenient, we don't expect 100% dedication from anyone, especially due to it being an open project.
RookieProject

Return to Community Projects