blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Making a website layout

Making a website layout

Postby themitchel0 » November 13th, 2010, 5:41 am

well i beleive everyone here knows how bad i am am html etc :P but while making a website, i should make a layout in gimp or photoshop right? and then i would just load that into css? but anyway how big should i make the layout like how many pixels wide, and how tall? and one last question :D how can a make a user navigation that doesnt drop something like the one here? any help is much appreciated :D
themitchel0
Pro
Pro

Re: Making a website layout

Postby djm » November 13th, 2010, 3:57 pm

the layout's size is completely up to you. But I'd prefer if you used the certain commands/tags which makes the website automaticly fit into one another's browser. I have, sadly, forgotten the tags for it but I do believe it's a CSS command/tag and what it does it that it defines the area of content to the screen-resolution your visitor has chosen.

Besides that the menu is no biggy, unless you want fancy ones. If you want fancy ones I'd recommend you to use either Javascript or jQuery (Basically the same thing).
Regards, DJM aka Sheldin!

DeviantArt Profile
http://sheldiner.deviantart.com/

Youtube (Tutorials/Gaming)
http://www.youtube.com/SheldinLP
djm
Pro
Pro

Postby themitchel0 » November 13th, 2010, 4:26 pm

ok thanks :D
themitchel0
Pro
Pro

Postby IrascibleOne » November 13th, 2010, 10:00 pm

Working in photoshop, then plugging into CSS is a common way to do a site. I used to do that, but now I kinda do them both at the same time. I find my design always changes from photoshop to the real thing just because it looks different, so now I just make the images in Photoshop and as I make them I put it into the actual web page with the CSS.

I think the norm (if the width is static) is 1000px wide, so it fits well on a 1024px wide screen. Height is basically whatever, it just depends on the content. If you want your width to vary depending on the screen size, then you would use percentages when defining width in your CSS rather than a defined pixel width. Then again, this is just the norm, people don't follow the norm all the time.

If you want it static, but to also look good on many screen sizes, you could also use @media (in your CSS). You should be able to use that to change what the layout is depending on the screen you get. I think that is mainly for people who want their site to work on mobile phones along with a regular computer screen.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby themitchel0 » November 14th, 2010, 4:42 pm

ok thankss
themitchel0
Pro
Pro

Postby Dictator-for-life » November 14th, 2010, 7:12 pm

Before a couple days ago, I'd never even heard of making a website in Photoshop. The prospect of making one huge image and mapping links onto it was derisive to say the least. If you were asking me about making website layouts, I'd just point you to Dreamweaver, especially if you were big on tables instead of dividers..
"Along with 'Antimatter,' and 'Dark Matter,' we've recently discovered the existence of 'Doesn't Matter,' which appears to have no effect on the universe whatsoever." -The 5th Wave
Dictator-for-life
Veteran
Veteran

Postby IrascibleOne » November 14th, 2010, 11:59 pm

Hmm, I never thought of making a site that way. I can only imagine that being extremely difficult and frustrating to do cross-browser. I could understand it from a speed freak's point of view though... one http request for an image for the whole site would be nice. Then again, perceived loading time could be longer...but now I am just rambling...
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby themitchel0 » November 15th, 2010, 3:21 am

in photoshop though wouldnt it be just one big image not multiple ones?
themitchel0
Pro
Pro

Postby djm » November 15th, 2010, 3:34 pm

Yes, a huge imagemap (or imagemaps). Which is cool, but not as effective if I'm not completely mistaken. Imagemaps are very useful indeed, but not as a whole page.
Regards, DJM aka Sheldin!

DeviantArt Profile
http://sheldiner.deviantart.com/

Youtube (Tutorials/Gaming)
http://www.youtube.com/SheldinLP
djm
Pro
Pro

Return to Programming