blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

RPG-Programming in SC 2 Editor

RPG-Programming in SC 2 Editor

Postby djm » August 15th, 2010, 6:28 pm

Well, as some of you guys already know I love Starcraft and especially the magnificent Editor you get with it! I've finally managed to get the hang on Triggers so far that I could make my very own BASIC RPG game out of it! (Yea, I actually made my very own game).
Since not all of you have gotten SC 2 I've decided to upload some in-game pics of ver. 0.1 Rogue and ver. 0.2 Sniper

------------------------------ Ver. 0.1 ------------------------------
Ver. 01 - Rogue;
A Jugnle Map where your main objective, so far, is to eliminate all of the opposing forces (In this case, a bunch of Zerglings).
You play as a Dark Templar. And when you've killed X amount of units you gain a new level. When you reach a certain level your character turns into a "Rogue" an you'll be able to use Cloak as well as Backstab.

Known bugs;
The level-system is still not functional due to wrong commands in the triggers; "level gain = + 1 of unit when killed any unit X times" - Clearly this should be edited, but I don't know to what right now.
Color bug when playing on high or Ultra graphics. The colour is all blurry, missmatched and all youy see is a huge yellow map with tress all over it.
Camera issues when moving the camera by right-clicking and draging the mouse. The Camera tends to lock and the cursor disapears.
When being attacked, the character/Hero will try to escape which is the point since he's been set to Defensive and Melee. But when being attacked from more than 2 sides at once, the character bugs out and gets stuck in a wall or on the edge of the platform. You are unable to do anything when this bug occurs.

Req. Graphic Settings; Medium

Pictures (Medium Graphics);
SHOW SPOILER
The Starting Position/Island.

Killed all the starting enemies below the ramp (Drones - Workers).

Ops, Zergling attacks!

Chillin' on one of the very beautifull edges of the starting island.

To reach one of the "hidden" areas of the map you need to defeat a smaller army of Zerglings (Aprox. 12 - 18 Zerglings at once).

Another very beautifull edge, but this one is on the main platform, next to my "secret/hidden area".

And at last a picture from the Editor where you get a close-up on the Dark Templar (Also known as the Hero/Rogue you play as). A very cool looking character.

Map file;
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3476730/SC%202%20Maps/RPG%20ver%200.1.SC2Map
All the images from the project;
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3476730/SC%202%20Maps/Ver01.zip

------------------------------ Ver. 0.2 ------------------------------
Ver. 0.2 - Sniper;
A Base-infiltration map where your main-objective is to infiltrate and basicly sabotage the base, so far. There is one hidden area here as well. You play as a Ghost (Sniper) and the abilities you can use are Cloak and Sniper Round.

Known bugs;
Level System still a bit bugged, you gain levels but no adds to Stamina nor Damage.
The Camera is tweked, and has got a faster responce but can still bug out and do the opposite of what you want it to do while scrolling with your mouse (or right-click + draging).
Abilities; Cloaking and Sniper-round, are not functioning as they should because of the leveling system bug.
Ability; Sniper Round is active all the time due to very high range on the weapon.

Fixed Bugs from 0.1;
Added faster responce-time for the camera so it will react quicker to what you're doing (moving, standing still, engaging enemies etc.)
Fixed the movement-bug so the character won't try to escape while being attacked and it won't get stuck inside walls or on edges anymore.
Movement speed is increased so that the character reacts quicker to the envoirement.
Damage, armor and HP has been balanced so that you can't finish the map in semi-godmode like in ver. 0.1.
Removed the "Entire Map Visible" Trigger. Instead you have the Sniper's ange of sight functioning. This makes the sniper-ability more real.
The colour issues have been fixed. Now you can play the map on whatever graphical settings you have, even Ultra.

Req. Graphic Settings; Ultra (Special Lightings which you can't see on Medium or High)

SHOW SPOILER
At the starting area of this map; A Wall of Defending Soldiers.

Entering the small town and the checkpoint where you have to snipe all the guards to enter the base.

The Hero/Character in a close-up picture carrying a Huge Sniper Rifle.

WARNING!! Top Secret Surveillance-Photos Below!!
A marine (Enemy Soldier) checking a car next to the checkpoint.

Inside the base, which is heavely guarded by tons and tons of Marines, Tanks and Strangely enough.. Zerglings.

Another close-up on the guards within the walls of this base.

The Map File;
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3476730/SC%202%20Maps/RPG%20ver%200.2.SC2Map

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3476730/SC%202%20Maps/Ver02.zip

------------------------------ Ver. 0.3 ------------------------------
Ver. 0.3 - Stalker/Hunter - Ragned Unit;
Cave map designed for a smaller Adventure feeling when playing. Hidden Areas, different races, base infiltration, imaginary objectives and quests, random enemies all over the map.

Known bugs;
Level System still a bit bugged, you gain no levels, no adds to Stamina nor Damage and no abilities *added but bugged*.
The Camera is fixed, yet again it might bug out sometimes.
Abilities; Blink is not functioning completely. Abilities will be added and dealt with on ver. 0.6.
Jump; No animation yet.

Fixed Bugs from 0.2;
Camera Responce fixed.
Jump is now functioning - without animation.
Tweaked Damage and Armor so you lose more HP when hit.
Move and Shoot (TPS versions 0.2 and 0.3) - You can now move and shoot at the same time, as long as your target is in the run angle (as longa as you face the enemy-target).

Req. Graphic Settings; Ultra

SHOW SPOILER
An in-game picture where I'm being chased by Zealots.

I'm on the way to infiltrate the human-outpost here. Although I came across a huge surprise when I reached the gate.. let's just say I had to remove some of the guarding units.

Starting location picture in the editor.

The Movement Triggers/Scripts for the Hero.

The Init (Initialization) Triggers/Scripts.

The Map File;
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3476730/SC%202%20Maps/RPG%20ver%200.3.SC2Map

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3476730/SC%202%20Maps/Ver03.zip

------------------------------ Ver. 0.4 ------------------------------
Ver. 0.4 - Warrior;
This map is Adventure-Based and you play as a Warrior, also known as Zealot here, without abilities so far. There are no objectives in this one except testing controlls, camera values and actions connected to a Zealot.

Known bugs;
*Removed Level-System for this one*
When you turn, the camera tends to be a bit laggy which is a problem with the editor and not the triggers. I can't fix this until Blizzard releases the new editor-patch.
The "Hero" strafes towards enemies when you order it to attack. I can't fix this one until Blizzard releases the new Editor-patch.

Fixed Bugs from 0.3;
Added even faster camera reactions for all movement actions.
Camera lag reduced.
Jump Animation added.
Back-Pedal movement fixed (when you move backwards while facing forward).

Systems and Functions added from Ver. 0.1 - 0.3
WASD movement with turning system and not sideways running - Left/Right turns instead of running towards direction.
Mouse Movement System - When you click, and hold, both the left and right mouse button your hero will run. If you mouse the mouse sideways, the hero will turn to the angle the mouse was moved.
Jump Animations - now the unit does an animation while jumping.
Camera with all-time following system - When you turn, run, strafe or anything movement-related the camera follows behind the hero, at all time.
Further Camera Zoom Function - Now you can zoom-in and zoom-out even further without any complications.
Unit Speed Changes depending on action - when you move forward you have the speed of 3.2 (My standard movement speed for the hero). And when you move backwards using the back-pedal system the movement-speed decreases to 2.2 during the back-pedal action. I've also fixed the movement-speed for the melee attack which is now set to 0.0, so you are not able to attack while moving.

Req. Graphic Settings;Ultra

Pictures (Medium and Ultra Graphics);
SHOW SPOILER
One of the Paths in the forest. Although some Zerglings are guarding the path as you can see here.

A Picture of the lake-shore (The Beach). Nothing fancy.. Just some sand, palm trees and water.

In-Game Picture of the "Hero/Zealot" you play as in this version.
*NOTE* - Picture was taken BEFORE camera values was fixed!!

*NOTE* - Picture was taken BEFORE camera values was fixed!!

*NOTE* - This is the final camera value when you've zoomed in 5 out of 5!

The Map File;
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3476730/SC%202%20Maps/RPG%20ver%200.4.SC2Map

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3476730/SC%202%20Maps/Ver04.zip

------------------------------ Ver. 0.5 - System-Fix Map ------------------------------
Ver. 0.5 - Seige Tank - Test-Unit;
Test-Map where my goal was to completely finish the leveling system, attribute system as well as the movement and camera systems.

Known bugs;
Test-Map; Every bug issue so far has been taken care of!

Fixed Bugs from 0.4;
Test-Map; Every bug issue so far has been taken care of!

Systems added;
A completely functioning Leveling System with exp-gaining, stamina,as well as damage adds per level.
Movement completely fixed, no issues what so ever.
Camera Settings from ver 0.50 - Fully Functioning
Camera Settings from ver 0.51 (Brektzar version) - Can't be fixed until new the new Patch of the Editor.
Balancing - Since this was a bug test this issue has not yet been taken care of. Allthough, there are no problems with the balancing yet.

Up-Coming adds in ver 0.6
Ability System - Gain, use and level up abilities.
Complete BETA version - A BETA version of this map for those who would like to try it out. The map will be complete with a world filled with units! No money-system included, only leveling and testing abilities!
This won't be done for quite some time though since it's going to be a BETA map which everyone who's interested can try out and give feedback on as well as report bugs from. There will be two versions of it though; The 0.6 version and the Brektzar Version.

Versions:
Brektzar version; The Brektzar version is the version of the map/game/system where the camera and controlls are slightly changed. Instead of having to move the camera by yourself, you get the laggy follow-cam for every move + free look and turn-to-direction movement.

Regular Version: The Regular Version is the version where you move to the direction you press on your keyboard (instead of turning towards it). The camera doesn't follow your every move so you have to rotate it yourself - less bugged and laggy camera cause of the editor as it is right now.

Controlls for ver 0.6 BETA (Regular Version):
W - forward
A - Walk towards: Left
S - Turn around and move towards the camera
D - Walk towards: Right
Q - Strafe Left
E - Strafe Right
Spacebar: Jump
Right Mousebutton - Camera locked onto the back of the Hero: Turn the hero by moving the mouse.
Left Mousebutton - Free Look
Left + Right Mousebutton together: Move forward. Move the mouse while holding this combo to turn towards any direction.

Controlls for ver 0.61 BETA (Brektzar Version):
W - forward
A - Turn: Left
S - Move Bakcwards/Reverse Movement
D - Turn: Right
Q - Strafe Left (Not yet decided if this will be included)
E - Strafe Right (Not yet decided if this will be included)
Spacebar: Jump
Right Mousebutton - Camera locked onto the back of the Hero: Turn the hero by moving the mouse.
Left Mousebutton - Free Look
Left + Right Mousebutton together: Move forward. Move the mouse while holding this combo to turn towards any direction.

NO Pictures were attached to this update because I'm currently working on a quick in-game vid instead. Since this was a test-map there are no special units and nothing special with the terrain what so ever.
Last edited by djm on August 19th, 2010, 6:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Regards, DJM aka Sheldin!

DeviantArt Profile
http://sheldiner.deviantart.com/

Youtube (Tutorials/Gaming)
http://www.youtube.com/SheldinLP
djm
Pro
Pro

Re: RPG-Programming in SC 2 Editor

Postby 3LeggedDog » August 16th, 2010, 3:19 pm

Looks pretty good to me. I tried modding a few games a while back but didn't know how to model, code, etc. I recently installed an old game - C&C Generals/Zero Hour, which has a good modding editor, just so I could mod it. It is a lot of work.
Good job, djm. :clap:

(I don't have SC II, and my computer wouldn't run it if I did - but I know all of the reviews were good ;) )
3LeggedDog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby IrascibleOne » August 16th, 2010, 7:22 pm

Wow, I didn't realize you could go that far with the editor. I figured you could make maps and all that but that is pretty cool.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby themitchel0 » August 16th, 2010, 8:32 pm

this is pretty cool
themitchel0
Pro
Pro

Postby SPARTAN-001 » August 17th, 2010, 7:39 pm

Whilst the graphics are somewhat dated for first person or third person perspectives, this is not a limitation of your skill, rather a limitation of the engine. It looks remarkably well made, and I want a download! :thumbup:
//SPARTAN
Practice makes perfect and nothing is perfect, so why practice? -brektzar
SPARTAN-001
Legend
Legend

Postby djm » August 17th, 2010, 8:13 pm

Thanks! I really appreciate the interest you guys seem to have with this :D
I'm gonna update this whenever I get a new version done!

If you really want to, I can make a tutorial about this. It's really easy to learn the basics of what I've done here. As far as I know though, Spartan is the only one here with a copy of Starcraft 2 + Editor (except fr me of course).

By the way, by a request from spartan as you can see on the post above this one, I've added attachtments now so you can download a .zip file with all the images rom all of the different version-projects as well as the version map (with the bugs, fixes etc. as mentioned in the main post).

DeviantArt Profile

djm
Pro
Pro

Postby themitchel0 » August 17th, 2010, 8:49 pm

well eventually ill have it, but i cant run it on this computer, the graphics card is a nvidia quadro nvs 210 from my exprience, sucks
themitchel0
Pro
Pro

Postby djm » August 19th, 2010, 6:57 pm

ah, well, no rush ^^
I'm gonna post some in-game vids of my future versions from now on. It's much much more fun to watch, although I don't think I can manage to get the in-game sounds to work with the screen rec software.. :/

[EDIT] MAjor Update on the Main-Post!

DeviantArt Profile

djm
Pro
Pro

Return to Programming