blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

After your done with your webpage...

After your done with your webpage...

Postby Sazex » January 12th, 2010, 10:07 pm

I'm merely just wondering, actually this may be of use to me in the future,
but after youve made a great website, like this one ;)
how do you publish it to get it a .com/.org/.net e.t.c?
whats the cheapest price that you can go for and where?
Sazex
Regular
Regular

Re: After your done with your webpage...

Postby IrascibleOne » January 12th, 2010, 11:11 pm

I just have my hosting deal with the domain registration and all that and usually a good host will do that for you. I currently pay around $5 a month for hosting at 1and1 and I have been pretty happy with what I have gotten from them. You can get an even smaller package at $4 a month the last I checked. That includes the domain name(s). And there is almost always a deal going on there. 1and1
(If you do get webhosting and at 1and1, use this link and I can get some money for it :D )

I believe there are cheaper ones but I don't know if their price includes domains. I know that Hostmonster is highly rated (I only know because I helped a friend with his site a while back and he chose that one). But it is slightly more expensive, probably because they don't have separate packages. Oh, and don't do free hosting because they usually don't last long and you will lose your stuff (unless it's webs.com or something like that). Free hosts don't do domains either.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » January 13th, 2010, 1:53 am

a cheap way would be to upload you site on a free host, like PHP0H
And for domain, you can get a co.cc domain or a .tk domain free.

All that stiuff is free so it doesnt have the supergood stuff a paid host has, but it is enough for a personal site :D
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby Sazex » January 13th, 2010, 9:33 pm

alright, thank you for the info :D
Sazex
Regular
Regular

Postby GLJosh » May 20th, 2010, 3:12 pm

If you want a forum, you can get a free one. Some free hosts actually set up forum systems for you, but it's better (especially for the learning experience) to make your own. You could try Drupal, too, which is useful for more than just a forum, but Drupal's a little more advanced and needs a lot of skinning/theming and extra modules and code to get it working the way you want.

To break it down, you have easy forum systems like vBulletin and PHPBB. These are fine for most sites, but they suck for professional uses, because they don't tie into the site itself.

Then, you have free hosts like IPBFree, which limit you to a forum but do the basic setup for you. These, as a rule, should be avoided, both as a forum user and as a forum owner, because the host has complete control over your data, and in most cases, you can't backup the files or the database. If the host disappears, you're back to square one.

Finally, you have CMS or content management systems, which are more or less just forum software covering all aspects of a site design. You simply use a CMS as the framework for your site and build around it. These systems are great for people who like to get their custom site built as soon as possible, but again, most CMS are limited to specific site types. Wordpress is primarily for blogs, while CuteNews is an extremely basic news system. If you want to cover all bases, you can use Joomla or Drupal, but be prepared for a steep learning curve.

You could also go the route of making everything from scratch. This takes a long time and requires planning ahead and making sure you know what you're doing. Custom coding a site can be a great learning exercise but is rarely practical. If all you want is a small personal site with art or a blog, try Wordpress. If you want to move on to more advanced stuff afterward, try Drupal.
GLJosh

Postby GLJosh » May 20th, 2010, 3:20 pm

IrascibleOne wrote:I just have my hosting deal with the domain registration and all that and usually a good host will do that for you. I currently pay around $5 a month for hosting at 1and1 and I have been pretty happy with what I have gotten from them. You can get an even smaller package at $4 a month the last I checked. That includes the domain name(s). And there is almost always a deal going on there. 1and1
(If you do get webhosting and at 1and1, use this link and I can get some money for it :D )

1and1 is horrible. Dreamhost is 10x better as far as price goes, and I find Dreamhost a lot easier to work with.

Dreamhost isn't for small sites, though. If you have a small site, the $120/year price isn't really worth it. I don't know where else you should go, but 100WebSpace is a great free host with cheap upgrade prices. You could just use their "free with no ads" option which costs very little and removes the annoying ads.
GLJosh

Postby IrascibleOne » May 20th, 2010, 5:26 pm

GLJosh wrote:1and1 is horrible.

I haven't had any problems so far and considering over a million sites are hosted there, it can't be that bad. Either way though, if/when I decide I want to upgrade, I will probably look into other options along with 1and1 to see what looks good. I had a friend do HostMonster which seemed nice from the one time I spent fixing something for him.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SPARTAN-001 » May 20th, 2010, 7:23 pm

Off Topic:

Hey a new user! Welcome to DS, GLJosh! :clap:

//SPARTAN
Practice makes perfect and nothing is perfect, so why practice? -brektzar
SPARTAN-001
Legend
Legend

Return to Programming