blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Official Contest #11 [Complete]

Re: Official Contest #11

Postby Dictator-for-life » September 11th, 2009, 11:40 pm

Tomorrow?! Hope I can make it. It's only that school has started and my bullion of AP classes have siphened a bullion of time from me. Not to mention that I got my first job two days ago! I guess my Blender life will have to resume after school ends.. that, or late nights. 8-)
"Along with 'Antimatter,' and 'Dark Matter,' we've recently discovered the existence of 'Doesn't Matter,' which appears to have no effect on the universe whatsoever." -The 5th Wave
Dictator-for-life
Veteran
Veteran

Postby IrascibleOne » September 12th, 2009, 9:49 am

Dictator-for-life wrote:that, or late nights. 8-)

Meh, who needs sleep? :lol:
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dictator-for-life » September 12th, 2009, 1:58 pm

OKay, I got my entry today. I call it, "Don't Touch the Red Button." It was a close call between "What Secret Military Base?" and "It wasn't Us." I whipped this up pretty quickly, so I'm not going for realism, but more for simplicity..

I know there's some contrast problems with the color and clarity isn't very clear. C+C always welcome.

And yes, those are in fact tumbleweeds rolling around. :)
"Along with 'Antimatter,' and 'Dark Matter,' we've recently discovered the existence of 'Doesn't Matter,' which appears to have no effect on the universe whatsoever." -The 5th Wave
Dictator-for-life
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Nismo » September 13th, 2009, 1:41 am

I like it, gotta sort of semi-real-toon thing going on :lol: the only thing i'd say is that the cacti are a bit too green

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

"Three blind mice walk into a pub. But they are unaware of their surroundings, so to derive humour from it would be exploitative." - Bill Bailey
Nismo
Pro
Pro

Postby Dictator-for-life » September 13th, 2009, 12:18 pm

Thanks.

Nismo wrote:the only thing i'd say is that the cacti are a bit too green

Like the wrong shade of green? Or the wrong brightness? Originally, I had the cacti dark green, but then the colors were really out of whack and you couldn't distinguish the cactus spines very well. Then I set it so they took in more light, but that still was too dark. So I even gave them some emit, and that's where they are now. I think I'll change the shade of them and repost this entry in a bit.
Dictator-for-life
Veteran
Veteran

Postby IrascibleOne » September 13th, 2009, 3:37 pm

Awesome, we got a 1-on-1 battle for this contest! I'll set up the voting now.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dictator-for-life » September 13th, 2009, 6:32 pm

@Nismo: How are you doing the textures on your image, esp. the rocky faces? I am guessing it's a UV Texture, but how do you get things to be so cleanly put together? Is it all just one image? I am in awe of people who actually have the know-how to plan ahead and put everything on one texture, I seem to have a problem fitting everything to a "T" when UV Mapping. :wall:
Dictator-for-life
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sazex » September 13th, 2009, 8:24 pm

well, i did plan to enter, but i was too late,
high school is gonna take a while to get used to :D
Sazex
Regular
Regular

Postby Dictator-for-life » September 14th, 2009, 3:31 pm

Well, if you had an entry, I'm sure we wouldn't mind if Irascible put it up.

[offtopic]
Freshman? Don't let it get to you when they call you a "freshy" or "freshmeat." Ever seen the corrolation between those who say they hate freshman and how they act like one? Almost 100%. I'll admit, some freshmen kinda deserve some oral rebuke, but you seem alright, so I won't give you my awesome militant talk (it scares some freshmen when I look them in the eye and command them to stand attention, you wouldn't believe, lol).

Oh, and Freshman Friday isn't real. Or at least at my school. [/offtopic]
Dictator-for-life
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Nismo » September 15th, 2009, 1:18 am

Dictator-for-life wrote:@Nismo: How are you doing the textures on your image, esp. the rocky faces? I am guessing it's a UV Texture, but how do you get things to be so cleanly put together? Is it all just one image? I am in awe of people who actually have the know-how to plan ahead and put everything on one texture, I seem to have a problem fitting everything to a "T" when UV Mapping. :wall:

If i remember correctly it was relatively simple i projected the UV's from view and added a stone texture and a green cloud over the top for the grass/moss

Dictator-for-life wrote:Like the wrong shade of green? Or the wrong brightness? Originally, I had the cacti dark green, but then the colors were really out of whack and you couldn't distinguish the cactus spines very well. Then I set it so they took in more light, but that still was too dark. So I even gave them some emit, and that's where they are now. I think I'll change the shade of them and repost this entry in a bit.

I'm not sure, something about it just looks of, they seem a bit too vivid and draw the eye away from the cliffs to the edge of the picture. Maybe adding a very bright texture over the top to stop it looking so dark would do it. :think:

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

"Three blind mice walk into a pub. But they are unaware of their surroundings, so to derive humour from it would be exploitative." - Bill Bailey
Nismo
Pro
Pro

PreviousNext
Return to Contests and Battles