blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Some grumblings...

Some grumblings...

Postby IrascibleOne » May 7th, 2010, 12:03 am

I just wanted to let you guys know that I am having problems with my computer. At this point in time, I believe my CMOS battery is dying, which is no big deal assuming I fix it in a timely manner, but I am not 100% sure. If it isn't the battery, the apparent alternative is that my motherboard got screwed up. A recent storm that caused a power outage may or may not be involved. I don't know much about hardware, so it is bothering me more than it probably should.

The point is, if I suddenly disappear for a couple of days, you now know why. I do have a laptop, but it is slow and I get angry with it quick (hence my username), so at the very least I will be on less frequently. Yay, for more stuff to worry about!
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Some grumblings...

Postby brektzar » May 7th, 2010, 1:54 am

What are the "symptoms" on your computer? is there anything unusual happening?
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby djm » May 7th, 2010, 8:33 am

why so negative, man? Now you can actually spend more time on your problems at school and not worry to much about this site. As you already may know, there's not too much going on without you nearby. :)
Regards, DJM aka Sheldin!

DeviantArt Profile
http://sheldiner.deviantart.com/

Youtube (Tutorials/Gaming)
http://www.youtube.com/SheldinLP
djm
Pro
Pro

Postby IrascibleOne » May 7th, 2010, 10:00 am

Well, from what I read all the symptoms point to the CMOS battery. First, I got a warning screen during startup (along with a beeping computer) which I did not look at too closely, but what I remember matched the description of what people said has to do with the battery dying. Second, as someone else put it, my computer had a case of amnesia where the date and time was all messed up, making Windows unable to update, and a bunch of programs where highlighted (like it does when you install a new program on Vista) that were installed ages ago. The latter two being related to a messed up time. I also cannot synchronize my time anymore, and from looking a problems from that, I fixed the common McAffee problem, and once again the CMOS battery popped up as a possible problem there.

The first thing I am doing to make sure that the battery is the problem is leaving my computer on for 24 hours, as someone suggested to charge the battery I guess. I am also waiting for that screen to pop up again during start up and I will have to take a picture of it and a bunch of settings so that if I do need to switch the battery I can see if all of the settings are the same before and after. I don't exactly remember, but I think at that point I should know whether or not it was the battery or the motherboard. Since my computer booted up OK today, I am almost certain that it is just the battery.

And yeah, I thought about being able to focus on school, however, all my classes post homework, study sheets, and lecture notes online (and nowhere else) and one of them has us do timed tests online. I really don't like the idea of having to remember to turn on my laptop 15 minutes beforehand to allow my laptop to fully boot up. Oh well, I probably should try to be more positive.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SPARTAN-001 » May 7th, 2010, 10:51 am

IrascibleOne wrote:...I fixed the common McAffee problem...

The common McAfee problem? You mean the one where McAfee is installed on your computer? :lol: Seriously though, ditch McAfee and get something else. I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials, which despite being made by Micro$oft, is surprisingly effective. Other better alternatives include AVG free, Avast!, and Avira Antivir.
//SPARTAN
Practice makes perfect and nothing is perfect, so why practice? -brektzar
SPARTAN-001
Legend
Legend

Postby brektzar » May 7th, 2010, 10:59 am

Personally i use Avira, and its really good :P I have no problems at all so i would recommend it.
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » May 7th, 2010, 3:12 pm

I know, but I get McAfee for free so it's not like I am paying for it. I have no problems with McAfee, so I have never really looked for anything else to replace it with. And the problem I had was just with allowing traffic through a port so the computer could get the time.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Announcements