blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Hi

Hi

Postby hieronymous » June 13th, 2009, 11:22 am

just wanted to drop by and say "hi", and to say thanks for the Blender tuts, as i've found them tremendously helpful

i've been doing 3d stuff (and a bit of games writing) since forever, but Blender's a bit different from my normal apps, so it's been very useful getting a kickstart with it

p.s. one thing i would mention though was that i almost gave up trying to register here due to the completely unreadable registration codes - i realise that it's a defence against spambots, but it might be worth considering using some more legible fonts otherwise you might just end up deterring bona fide members
Art of Darkness, Art for Adults
hieronymous
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hi

Postby Nismo » June 13th, 2009, 11:44 am

Aloha, welcome to the Scarab. Looking forwards to seeing your work.

You might want to put a warning of some sort for the link in your sig, its just a thought, I'm not sure on the rules

Something like this would probably be alright
be aware that as this is an adult art site, you may encounter content here that may not be to everyone's taste

I did steal that from your post on the forum. :D

Aside form that enjoy our stay

Nismo

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

"Three blind mice walk into a pub. But they are unaware of their surroundings, so to derive humour from it would be exploitative." - Bill Bailey
Nismo
Pro
Pro

Postby Dictator-for-life » June 13th, 2009, 3:03 pm

Awesome, another game developer! :clap: The influx of new users to the site recently has been awesome!

Welcome to the site! Hope you do enjoy your stay. It's pretty open ended here, primarily a Blender hub, for now. Do post some of your works!
"Along with 'Antimatter,' and 'Dark Matter,' we've recently discovered the existence of 'Doesn't Matter,' which appears to have no effect on the universe whatsoever." -The 5th Wave
Dictator-for-life
Veteran
Veteran

Postby hieronymous » June 13th, 2009, 9:33 pm

Nismo wrote:You might want to put a warning of some sort for the link in your sig, its just a thought, I'm not sure on the rules

i'll certainly change the sig if officially requested, but in my defence it does say "art for adults", which should be a bit of a giveaway that it's, um, an adult art site

i'd also point out that apart from a few high-quality vanilla images on the public intro board, none of the main content is available until people actually register, so nobody can inadvertently stumble across stuff they don't wish to see

Dictator-for-life wrote:Awesome, another game developer! :clap: The influx of new users to the site recently has been awesome!

Welcome to the site! Hope you do enjoy your stay. It's pretty open ended here, primarily a Blender hub, for now. Do post some of your works!

thanks. i've developed and released (on my site, i'm afraid) a number of games in other packages (Dark Basic, AGS, and even VB), but i can tell it's going to take a while to fully get to grips with Blender, at least to the point where i'm making anything worth releasing. it might never happen anyway, my feeling is that Blender's probably better for prototyping than serious development - but i'm prepared to be proved wrong about that

anyway, i already have a few dumb n00b questions that i may post here shortly
hieronymous
Contributor
Contributor

Postby IrascibleOne » June 14th, 2009, 10:27 am

Welcome!

I'm not going to worry too much about the sig link. However, if we do get people who complain, I will have to ask for a more obvious warning.

Yes, the captcha upon registering is bad. I should change it sometime soon, especially considering the bots were able to crack through it quite easily a few months ago...
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dictator-for-life » June 14th, 2009, 11:30 am

So what other 3D suites do you use besides the more recent Blender?
"Along with 'Antimatter,' and 'Dark Matter,' we've recently discovered the existence of 'Doesn't Matter,' which appears to have no effect on the universe whatsoever." -The 5th Wave
Dictator-for-life
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Rezeul » June 14th, 2009, 6:41 pm

hey! welcome to the forums!
Rezeul
Pro
Pro

Postby hieronymous » June 14th, 2009, 9:52 pm

Dictator-for-life wrote:So what other 3D suites do you use besides the more recent Blender?

for games, just Dark Basic for 3d, but i also really love using AGS (Adventure Game System). it's another free, function-rich app. you can't really do 3d stuff in it, but it's got a great scripting language, and is just a really well thought-out and useable app

for renders, D|S for choice, but i've also got Poser(5), Carrara(6 Pro), Vue(6 Infinite), Bryce(5.5)

for modelling i've been using Hexagon 2.5, but one reason for trying Blender was to create more organic stuff, because i was really struggling to do that in Hex

i also use Photopaint & Paintshop Pro for postwork, and MaPZone2 (which i love) (and which is also free) for texture creation

and, um, probably some other stuff i've forgotten about
hieronymous
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Dictator-for-life » June 14th, 2009, 10:23 pm

Nice, looks like you've been around everywhere. I haven't even heard of some of those. My friends are very interested in making mods of Half Life 2. I have gotten myself into Direct X SDK, Crystal Space, Delta, Blender, Bullet Physics, and some more. I can't really work with most of those yet though because I am still learning C++. I am mostly into Blender right now.
Dictator-for-life
Veteran
Veteran

Postby hieronymous » June 14th, 2009, 10:44 pm

well, most of those are purely rendering apps

on the games-writing front i created a ton of extra levels for Postal2 (one of my all-time favourite, non-politically-correct games) using the Unreal Editor. pretty ancient now, but they can be found at the Postal Network as "Nightmare City", if they're still there

it's obviously rather easier to mod a pre-written game using a built-in level designer than to build a full game from scratch - although it's still a shedload of work, of course

hl2 was another favourite game, but i've never tried writing any levels for it
hieronymous
Contributor
Contributor

Next
Return to Introductions