blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Eh from Canada

Eh from Canada

Postby ukeranian » January 29th, 2015, 7:58 pm

This looks like a well organized forum. I must explore it further -- after I survive my Fluid Simulation frustrations, which I've been working at for the past week. I'm two years into Blender (using 2.54 on my XP non-internet laptop, 2.72 on my Vista internet laptop and 2.69 on my Windows7 desktop) and obviously love the potential of this program. Although I no longer fumble around on the interface as I had been doing a year ago, I still am very much a newbie. The group here sound like they are gentle with Noobs. I'm a Senior, so I have two reason for you all to be patient with me, right? Plus I own a snowshovel and live in an igloo. Shall I go on...?
:roll: I digress.

I'm a big user of Paint Shop Pro, Animation Shop, ViaCad and Windows Movie Maker. Well, I use lots of other software too, but Blender has been the most challenging for me, and I'm constantly in pursuit of answers. I'm retired from a very high-stress job so I sort of feel at home with Blender! Admittedly, it takes me longer to absorb the ins and outs of this software than all the youngsters who burp up fabulous renders with their quick understanding of how to use Blender. I admit, at times, I feel jealous because my work is so amateur in comparison! But I'm driven by ambition to burp up a creation of my own which will blow myself away. I have to!! :pray:

I found this forum while googling for the reason why the Fluid level in my Free Slip Obstacle Cup is about .3 BU above the rim. The Domain is Free Slip as well. The little bit over the rim of the Cup is aggravating me. Any suggestions?
ObstacleCupTooFull.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be nice, we are all only here for a little while.
ukeranian
Starting Out
Starting Out

Off topic post of the week!

Postby brektzar » January 30th, 2015, 3:31 pm

Hi and welcome to DS! :D

It sounds great, living in an igloo with internet connection and power enough for several PCs... Cheap heat AND cheap building material! ;)

About you being older, i can see that is not a hindrance to you and it shouldn't be. Everyone willing to learn can.
The way i see it is that YOU have the advantage here, many more years of real life experience, all that you've seen and done is an amazing source of inspiration, one that you should use as often as possible.
And you being a noob, art is and always will be in the eye of the beholder. I find Picasso paintings ridiculous, but people who are of the "higher artsy class" pay incredible amounts just to see them. If you like what you made, if you don't, then welcome to the club ;) I've only ever done one image that i am proud of.

Ok, ill try to help you with your problem, are you sure its all set to free slip?
I think this could have something to do with the domain object being too small? Or the obstacle has No slip set on it.
I cant really say that much without actually seeing the settings and the wire of everything.
I am not that into fluid sims anymore, but i do know some stuff that could be helpful, so if you're willing i could take a look at the .blend file and see if i can figure it out for you.

One more thing :P
Toss vista out the windows! :O You have XP and Win 7, why would you waste your time on a product that is even inferior to its predecessor? :P
Remember this rule, Microsoft only makes a decent or good OS AFTER a bad one. I do not know if its intentional or not but its always been like this. Just look at this:
Win 95 - bad
Win 98 - good
Win ME - BAD!
Win XP - good
Win Vista - BAAD!
Win 7 - good
Win 8 - BAAAD!
Win 10 - seems to be decent so far.

There you have it, the curse of windows.
I know there are other versions of Windows, but these are the ones aimed at regular people, i didnt include the ones before 95 because i don't really remember them as clearly, except 3.1. :P

Sorry for the wall of text... ;)
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Re: Eh from Canada

Postby IrascibleOne » January 30th, 2015, 8:42 pm

Welcome to DS!

Blender fluids has always been a pain to get right and I usually end up frustrated every time I try to use it. If it isn't going through the mesh, it's too far away from the mesh, or it does weird things that just don't make sense.

Anyways, other than what Brek suggested, you could try raising the resolution and/or raising the "Real World Size" setting in the Fluid World section of the fluid domain settings.

Again, welcome to DS! :wave:
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ukeranian » February 1st, 2015, 1:40 am

Thank you Brektzar and IrascibleOne for your welcome greetings and most appreciated comments. It's good to hear that Blender fluids is not only a pain for ME to get right. I feel less of an imbecile already! Thank you for that feeling!

Before I came here, I had been disappointed to discover that there is little textual information about 'troubleshooting' the Fluid Simulation online. Lots of videos, but I am deaf, so I have trouble with many videos, especially when the CC feature is not accurate.

Reading your replies was amazing for me because I actually understood what you both were talking about! Maybe I moved one step up from being a newbie...does that make me a toobie? :D

Oh yeah, I remember that 'fluid going through the mesh' thing. :wall: It took me awhile to make my obstacles just right. Even now, it still leaks inside the cup.

Uuhhh, I'm really not sure how to let you see my .blend file... do I treat it the same way as I do with image files, on this forum? I have loaded this file to my OneDrive at http://1drv.ms/1Khwr1h -- if that will help.

Rescaling the domain doesn't seem to make a difference. I did fool around with the Real World Size but am seeing no changes with that either.

Having less fluid helps in that I don't have an overflow but I purposefully wanted the overabundance of fluid, ever since I first saw that weird high level above the cup obstacle. Perhaps I'm foolish, but I just need to UNDERSTAND why that fluid piles up above the rim like that. I find that mastering puzzles is the key to figuring out the way a programmer's mind works, and therefore better comprehension of the software he/she/they created.

Raising the resolution... well, I'm getting older, not younger. My bake time went from minutes to what? Hours, days, months...? My bar hardly moved so I stopped it. I'll admit that I don't know if that would have helped with the fluid buildup. I need more patience and another lifetime before I delve further into this resolution thing.

I did find it helpful to have the volume initialization=volume on the cup obstacle, but the fluid level is still higher than the rim, although not as bad as when it was 'shell'. I also set impact factor (on the cup) to 0.000 to drain the fluid but this still doesn't answer the question I have about why the fluid piles up above the rim (if there is enough fluid).

I found your list of Windows OS quite delightful, Brektzar. I agree with you that ME was not appealing at all -- 2000 was a just big mess for Microsoft. I know Vista was not popular but some people love it. I voluntarily teach other seniors how to use computers, so I like to be familiar with all kinds of OS. I still have my very first DOS laptop, with a whopping 10 MB hard drive -- the salesman at that time even said "you'll never need more than that!". One thing I gotta share though: we've come a long way from the Commodor Vic20 which used a tape recorder for the 5 kb 'hard drive' -- and I could only use 3.5 kb to make a program with! :Dance:
Last edited by ukeranian on February 1st, 2015, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ukeranian
Starting Out
Starting Out

Postby brektzar » February 1st, 2015, 4:24 am

You only have to upload it and share the link, your onedrive link works perfectly for this. :)

Does this look like more what you want?
The resolution is increased to 120(not a lot, bakes in a few minutes) which made the water splash out of the cup and not get stuck like it did for you.

Yes, this definitely makes you a toobie! :D
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Fluid Simulation

Postby ukeranian » February 1st, 2015, 11:23 am

I was unable to see your image... :(

I did change the resolution to 120 as suggested and you are right, it didn't take that long. It did reduce the amount of fluid, but that did not satisfy my curiosity about the wall of fluid above the rim whenever there is a surplus of fluid. I'm thinking there is some kind of "defined area" effect going on, or maybe it's a glitch in the software. But now I recognize that I must ensure my fluid level does not go above the top of the Obstacle object. I can live with that.

Or maybe I'm just being irrational... :wtf: Ah, enough time spent on this fluid situation! Time to go learn about the Nodes.

You probably already know this, but I didn't. I put my Fluid object on the 2nd layer so that it cannot be seen. I learned that everything works regardless of what layer it's on! I really like that! I work extensive with layers in Paint Shop Pro so I should have realize Blender would use layers in the same manner! :oops:

Thanks for your help, both of you! I am most grateful. :thumbup:
ukeranian
Starting Out
Starting Out

Postby brektzar » February 1st, 2015, 12:42 pm

Well, i am glad its working for you.
Think of the fluid as geometry, a mesh that has to fit inside the container.
If this mesh is low res the faces will be bigger and that would cause that little bit of fluid on the top, i think.
If you were to try and add more fluid but also increase the resolution further i would bet that the fluid spills over instead of giving you that extra bit on top.
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby ukeranian » February 1st, 2015, 12:46 pm

Hey, now THAT makes sense! Thank you! :clap:
(Still can't find that THANK YOU button you talked about back in 2010!)
ukeranian
Starting Out
Starting Out

Postby brektzar » February 1st, 2015, 12:47 pm

Its the little heart in the top right of my post ;)
I don't think i have ever used it actually xD
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Re: Off topic post of the week!

Postby Alpha 3D » February 6th, 2015, 7:04 pm

brektzar wrote:Hi and welcome to DS! :D

It sounds great, living in an igloo with internet connection and power enough for several PCs... Cheap heat AND cheap building material! ;)

About you being older, i can see that is not a hindrance to you and it shouldn't be. Everyone willing to learn can.
The way i see it is that YOU have the advantage here, many more years of real life experience, all that you've seen and done is an amazing source of inspiration, one that you should use as often as possible.
And you being a noob, art is and always will be in the eye of the beholder. I find Picasso paintings ridiculous, but people who are of the "higher artsy class" pay incredible amounts just to see them. If you like what you made, if you don't, then welcome to the club ;) I've only ever done one image that i am proud of.

Ok, ill try to help you with your problem, are you sure its all set to free slip?
I think this could have something to do with the domain object being too small? Or the obstacle has No slip set on it.
I cant really say that much without actually seeing the settings and the wire of everything.
I am not that into fluid sims anymore, but i do know some stuff that could be helpful, so if you're willing i could take a look at the .blend file and see if i can figure it out for you.

One more thing :P
Toss vista out the windows! :O You have XP and Win 7, why would you waste your time on a product that is even inferior to its predecessor? :P
Remember this rule, Microsoft only makes a decent or good OS AFTER a bad one. I do not know if its intentional or not but its always been like this. Just look at this:
Win 95 - bad
Win 98 - good
Win ME - BAD!
Win XP - good
Win Vista - BAAD!
Win 7 - good
Win 8 - BAAAD!
Win 10 - seems to be decent so far.

There you have it, the curse of windows.
I know there are other versions of Windows, but these are the ones aimed at regular people, i didnt include the ones before 95 because i don't really remember them as clearly, except 3.1. :P

Sorry for the wall of text... ;)

I just liked this comment JUST BECAUSE OF WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT PICASSO!

Oh, and Windows 8 and 8.1 are awesome! :D You just need to give it a chance :D
God Makes ALL The Difference! :D
Portfolio: towercg.weebly.com
Thanks!
Alpha 3D
Useful
Useful

Next
Return to Introductions