blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Blast from the Past

Blast from the Past

Postby IrascibleOne » December 26th, 2014, 11:27 pm

I was just sifting through some old DS files and found a bunch of old logos and site designs. Thought it would be neat to show the progression since the site started. I put all the site versions into a single image at the bottom (including unused designs!).

Put a little bit of commentary for each image into this spoiler, if you care. :)
SHOW SPOILER
#1) Spring 2008 - This image was created with the concept of "scarab wings" in mind. Wanting an Egyptian feel, I made grungy and tan/orange. At this point, this was the closest to a logo I had.
#2) Jan 2009 - The oldest version of the standardized logo I can find was just at the beginning of 2009. The site itself was ugly.
#3) August 2009 - I have one image of DS3. This is the header.
#4) Dec 2009 - This is part of a grungy design I never used. I didn't use it because the large background images took too long to load.
#5) Dec 2009 - After the grunge was trashed, I did a 180 with a slick futuristic style. In the header was this shiny logo.
#6) Jan 2010 - New Years day 2010 was when DS4 went live. You can see the logo from #5 made it here. If you were here back then, you might remember the fireflies in the background and yellow grass in the footer.
#7) ~Sept 2010 - DS5 was when Dark Scarab was not dark. The "Light Ages" of Dark Scarab? This was also when Dark Scarab changed from orange to red! Sometimes I regret doing so.
#8) ~April 2013 - The first DS6 design never clicked for me. I made the sweet new logo and lettering, but I didn't like much else. Probably why I did the DS6.1 updates in late 2013 and started working on DS7 in April 2014.
#9) Today - Same logo, clean and flat design. I cut out unnecessary textures. I don't do the clear cut design updates like DS1 to DS5, but I hope this one lasts a while!
Untitled-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Blast from the Past

Postby bonrw1 » December 27th, 2014, 2:34 am

Wow! It really has changed! Thanks for sharing, these are very interesting :) Just a question; Why did you use the name Dark Scarab? I think it sounds great, but how did you think of the name?
bonrw1
Useful
Useful

Postby IrascibleOne » December 27th, 2014, 7:18 pm

I get that question a lot. The name just makes no sense, right? Here's the story:

When I was looking for a domain, the site was supposed to be a personal portfolio while I learned web development. My intention was to use my name/initials in some way, but I couldn't find anything available. So, I started trying random domains. If I remember correctly, "Scarab" was inspired by the scarabs in "The Mummy". After trying a bunch of ideas out, I eventually found darkscarab.com and I thought it sounded cool, so I went with it.

Honestly, I only intended to keep the name until I found something that fit better. It didn't really fit with a portfolio and today it doesn't fit with a Blender community site. If I were picking a name today, it would have "Blender" in it. That said, I doubt I could bring myself to actually change it anytime soon, if ever.

----------
:idea: Fun Fact: Imantu, my other (now dead) site, came from "Im"ages, "An"imations, and "Tu"torials. Also, the manta ray mascot for Imantu was named Maunti (pronounced like Monty) using the same letters.
----------
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bonrw1 » December 28th, 2014, 5:05 am

Aaah I see! Very interesting! :) I really like the name actually! and it's nice to see how the logo evolved too :)
bonrw1
Useful
Useful

Postby brektzar » January 11th, 2015, 10:50 pm

So which one was the header when i joined? :S I cant remember :P
I am also to lazy to find out on my own ;)
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » January 12th, 2015, 5:42 pm

I know you were here at least before DS4 because I remember seeing your comment in the screenshot I had.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » January 13th, 2015, 8:53 pm

Yup, i joined around number 3 :) Thats quite a while ago! :O
Over 5 years of awesome! :D
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby Alpha 3D » January 29th, 2015, 7:51 am

I like 5,6.... And I join on #9!!! XP
God Makes ALL The Difference! :D
Portfolio: towercg.weebly.com
Thanks!
Alpha 3D
Useful
Useful