blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

A Cube!

A Cube!

Postby SPARTAN-001 » March 17th, 2009, 8:31 am

This is just something that I was messing around with. It's kinda abstract, but I was wondering which one you thought looked better.
Cube.jpg

The Cube.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
//SPARTAN
Practice makes perfect and nothing is perfect, so why practice? -brektzar
SPARTAN-001
Legend
Legend

Re: A Cube!

Postby Rezeul » March 17th, 2009, 8:48 am

i like the bottom one better.
Rezeul
Pro
Pro

Postby IrascibleOne » March 17th, 2009, 1:41 pm

You know, it was that sort of thing I was going to apply to the ship for the community project. I wasn't going to do it quite as much as you have done there, but the same idea applies. I think that looks really good, I wish I had time to do it to the ship.

I think I the bottom one looks better, I looks more 'real' to me.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Nismo » March 17th, 2009, 2:41 pm

I like the bottom one too like Irascible says it's more real. How did you get that texture, disp mapping?

Nismo

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

"Three blind mice walk into a pub. But they are unaware of their surroundings, so to derive humour from it would be exploitative." - Bill Bailey
Nismo
Pro
Pro

Postby Sazex » March 17th, 2009, 9:34 pm

Nice,
i too like the bottom one better

that looks really cool
perhaps a tut.?
I would really like to be able to make something like that :D
Sazex
Regular
Regular

Postby SPARTAN-001 » March 18th, 2009, 11:01 am

@ Nismo- I didn't use a texture actually. I used the fractal subdivide, but I realized almost immediately after that a texture would have been far less strenuous on my poor computer. :P

@ Sazex- Possibly. If I have enough time I might do a tutorial, but it's not actually that tricky to do, just time consuming to tweak and render.

@ IrascibleOne- What ship might this be? Could I possibly help?

@ All- Thanks for your comments. Just so you know, this mesh was made only with extruding and subdividing from a cube. The render was done with Approximate Ambient Occlusion (not raytraced) and soft shadows from a regular lamp. The material is just a regular gray w/ a Ray Mirror effect @ .5 and some specularity and reflection tweaks. The "texture" is just a multi fractal subdivide w/ a factor of 50. Render time was approximately 22 minutes on a 2.4 GHz P4 HT (It's slow, but it's the only type of computer we have @ my school.) The whole thing took me maybe 10 minutes to make, the long part was rendering.

Once again, thanks for the comments, and I'll try to give everyone a tutorial soon.
//SPARTAN
Practice makes perfect and nothing is perfect, so why practice? -brektzar
SPARTAN-001
Legend
Legend

Postby IrascibleOne » March 18th, 2009, 4:51 pm

You can help, the ship is for the community project. So if you want more information on that, you can go into that section. At the moment though, the ship is getting textured but if you believe that you can make model or texture something better than what we already have, please do so. I'm sure the others won't mind. Basically, just jump in and say you are going to do something. I haven't really been telling any one person what to do, so it's borderline free for all.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ljmk312008 » April 9th, 2009, 7:41 am

I like them both. The bottom one does look more real.
ljmk312008
Starting Out
Starting Out

Return to Showcase